Efforts to decouple Mozilla dependacies in Debian

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Wed Feb 22 06:55:28 CST 2006

On Wednesday 22 February 2006 02:58, Jason Clinton wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 02:22 +0000, Luke-Jr wrote:
> > So what takes up the 30 MB if not the engine?
>
> The web browser, email, calendar, address book and chat, of course ...

I don't know... don't most browser + email + calendar + address book programs
come up well under 30 MB even if separate? A quick du of KDE's programs turns
up 10 MB (yes, counting the specific libraries except khtml).

> > Don't see how this is that good of news for Gnome... They're still stuck
> > with the inferior Gecko for now. Maybe if someone ports their browsers to
> > use Gtk-WebKit...
>
> Care to explain?

Gecko is the best for Windows. Once you drop that OS, you have KHTML/WebKit,
which is much more standards compliant.