OT: Video Franchise Agreements

James Nelson webmaster at kcnet.com
Tue Feb 21 14:37:02 CST 2006

I thought I would post this information as I am sure many of you on this
list care deeply about network neutrality and competition in the Cable and
Telecom industry.

Today, Kansas Video Competition Act, SB 449, is expected to come out of
committee.
http://www.kslegislature.org/bills/2006/449.pdf

Although this bill provides franchise agreement reform which on its surface
would foster quicker competition in the video industry, it does not do so
fairly.  It creates to classes of regulations, one that would allow telecom
giants like AT&T to negotiate with the state and one that requires incumbent
cable companies to continue to negotiate with each local government.

These unequal regulations would allow AT&T to cherry pick the markets it
serves by only providing access to the most profitable customers, leaving
low income and rural customers out in the cold.  In addition, by excluding
local governments from the negotiations we would lose public access and
educational channels like those offered by local community colleges for
distance learning.

For those of you on the Missouri side, this debate is also raging. SB 816
does exactly the same thing in Missouri.

If you care about real telecom reform, one that would begin treating all
these incumbent giants equally, then make your voice heard.  Contact your
state senators today and urge them to vote 'NO' on SB 449 and SB 816.  And
contact your federal representatives who are currently considering these
same issues and let them know how you feel.

Thanks for your time,
James