proposed solution to signal to noise ratio problem

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 20 13:51:02 CST 2006

--- David Nicol <davidnicol at gmail.com> wrote:

> I enjoy the off-topic ranting.  In fact I
> consider getting to read the off-topic
> ranting my payment for the occasional piece
> of useful advice I provide.  Which is
> getting less and less often as I become
> progressively less of a young fart.

"Re: test" got a little OTT of the usual off-topic
ranting on the kclug mailing list.

I enjoy reading most of the off-topic ranting as well,
but usually the issues are less polarizing than
religion or politics (though the on-topic
"ndiswrapper" ranting got a little close to polarizing
discussion).

I figure if the topic has pro and con protesters
marching in the streets, it really has no business on
the kclug mailing list.

I'm a little concerned about another Linux discussion
group I moderate, which is with the Care2.com
discussion website (lots of message forums, and a few
Linux groups), where political propaganda has been
used to justify Linux.  While Linux idealism is one of
the motivating forces behind encouraging people to
switch over to Linux, it can get a little excessive.

(incidentally, if anyone wants to come on by, head to
www.care2.com, set up an account, and join the "Linux
for Newbies" Care2 group)