Which wireless card?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 13 09:29:01 CST 2006

It is so hard to find the right wireless card since
manufacturers never seem to want to put the name of
the chipset on the box.  And once you have the
shrinkwrap off the box, the computer store frequently
takes a dim view of returns, especially when the
reason is "An operating system with, officially, about
5% of the market, won't work with this card."

I guess what the KCLUG list really needs is a list of
local stores which have a reasonable return policy
that doesn't require the device to be completely
non-functional (in a Windows box) to exchange it for
another wireless card.  It would be nice as well to
have a link to a compact list of all the compatible
wireless chipsets for loading into your PDA.

Yes ornico wireless cards are really nice, but again,
hard to find the right chipset.