Windows firewalls

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 29 23:27:49 CDT 2006

--- Joe Brouhard wrote:

> i have a friend who runs a Windows server (no, there
> is no way to
> convert to linux as she's using a hosted box.  App
> is also locked to
> Win32, so...) and it's routinely hit by portscanners
> and has been hacked
> at least twice now.

Not sure what you mean by App being locked to Win32.
But then you didn't specify what the server's function
is.

> She's also not really in the mood to pay for the
> software, so i'mlooking
> for opensource options.
As was already said this screams for a Linux solution.

As was also already said, on a hosted box the security
should be the hoster's responsibility not the hostee.
I also can't give you an answer. The only Windows
servers I work with are protected by a FreeBSD
firewall, in addition to hardware firewalls. My
suggestion, such as it is, is to find a new hoster.
There are secure Windows hosters out there, but of
course, I'd still suggest going full tilt and making
the switch to Linux at the same time. There's not much
a Linux server can't do that a Windows server can, but
the reverse isn't true. Linux servers have many
features that Windows just can't duplicate. On top of
which a decently maintained Linux server will almost
never be compromised, except due to lax security on
the part of registered users.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Brian JD