Ubuntu and Kubuntu vs. Mepis.... Gentoo?

Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO brian.kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Mon Apr 10 07:50:07 CDT 2006

 Sounds to me like you may have CD burner problems or possibly many bad
downloads.  If I were you, I'd check MD5 sums on your .iso image
downloads.  Also, if you are talking about hardware issues with your
laptop, then you may need to use some boot options, like noapic, noapm
or nolapic.  Since you didn't say what your issues were, who can tell.

I've actually heard of some people finally having success with the
OPL3Sax sound chips with some of the LiveCDs.  Which is good news, but
about 2 years and one Diet Coke too late for me.  Anyone recall the Coke
I spilled all over the perfectly fine, older, free laptop I had.

For Apt-pin issues, I was referring to stuff pinned by Mepis.  It would
either keep me from installing or uninstalling software.  Many times,
just an upgrade would be impossible, due to some specific version being
required.  With the switch to Ubuntu repositories, and other internal
fixes, some/most of this should go away.  Does anyone have apt-get
update/upgrade called in a cron job to stay up to date?

snip