Ubuntu and Kubuntu vs. Mepis.... Gentoo?

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Wed Apr 5 16:31:12 CDT 2006

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 14:48, Jeremy Fowler wrote:
> Why has Gentoo fallen out of favor?

Mainly because Gentoo's quality has been deteriorating over the past few
years.

> Gentoo's portage and emerge utility rivals that of Debian's app-get.

Indeed, but unless the package tree is maintained well, it has issues.
For example, it is impossible for me to do an update due to masking conflicts.

The only reason I still use Gentoo is that I am waiting until I have Utopios
at a usable state to replace it on my systems.