TV cards

Justin Dugger jldugger at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 02:25:56 CDT 2006

Digital cable, afaik, is not the same as tunable analog cable. It's
encoded MPEG streams or something like that. This is why those cable
boxes have a bit of lag on them when changing channels, and you
sometimes get wierd squares out of sync with the frame.  As I
understand it, the only way to get the full range is to ask for a box
that does firewire output. This eliminates the need for a TV capture
device, but it costs you something silly per month for the capability
that saves THEM money by allowing more bandwidth for general internet
comms.

Anyone have an dissenting opinion about tv capture from digital cable?
I'd love to know if there is one.

Justin