LiveCD at iTech

Monty J. Harder mjharder at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 16:54:49 CST 2005

On 10/30/05, Leo Mauler <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I suggest that before choosing to use Ubuntu again, we
> scan the Ubuntu forums well in advance on 6.04 to see
> if other people have problems like the mentioned
> "Enterprise Volume Management System" error.

Absolutely. The key is to have something stable, whatever that is. I
personally liked how Ubuntu 5.10 picked up all of my hardware automagically
on this laptop. Typically, laptop hardware is less likely to be supported
than desktop, so that's a good sign. I figure the 6 months after 6.04 comes
out will be plenty of time to decide if it's the right choice.

I suggest that the two meetings before ITEC--to catch
> the people who can only show up on a Tuesday but not
> Wednesday, and vice versa--be the official planning
> meetings for ITEC, and that anyone under 21 who wants
> to make CDs for ITEC make them by one of those
> meetings and bring them to that meeting. Chances are
> someone going to ITEC will be at one of those
> meetings.

I don't think that's early enough for planning, especially when we are
talking about doing some kind of formal presentation. The planning needs to
be done well ahead of then, and those last two meetings should suffice for
assembling the materials for the show.

Is there a relatively cheap and/or free, preferably
> OSS, application for creating those nifty autorun.exe
> programs for a homemade OpenCD-like CD? Seems to me

> OpenOffice.org version 1.1.4 on it. Being able to
> hand out an OpenCD-like CD with OpenOffice.org 2.0 on
> the CD would be a lot better, especially since it
> would have KCLUG info on the CD.

Rather than autorun.exe, it can be an HTML document. It's trivial to put
that in the autorun.inf file. There's a lot of flexibility there.