OpenOffice.org Bloatware?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 30 14:28:57 CST 2005

--- Jason Clinton <me at jasonclinton.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 29 October 2005 12:36 pm, Leo Mauler
> wrote:
> > Here's a question: just what does OOo use Java
> > for?  If its something most people don't use,
> > then I'd feel better about turning off Java
> > (like the article suggests).

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openoffice#Java_controversy>

Oh great.  Any FOSS CD with OpenOffice.org on it would
need a non-FOSS Java installer on it too for a lot of
things (and I presume that Java has restrictive
redistribution licensing...):

 * Parts of the Base application
 * The media player
 * Mail merge to e-mail (requires Java Mail)
 * All document wizards in Writer
 * Accessibility tools
 * Report Autopilot
 * JDBC driver support
 * XSLT filters
 * BeanShell, the NetBeans scripting language,
     and the Java UNO bridge
 * Export filters to the Aportis.doc (.pdb)
     format for the Palm OS or Pocket Word
     (.psw) format for the Pocket PC

I find it somewhat reprehensible that the
Accessibility tools require Java, as if it wasn't
already going to be processor and memory intensive to
allow people with disabilities to use the office
suite.