OpenOffice.org Bloatware?

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 29 08:44:47 CDT 2005

Well, I don't know what effect this has,
but on my desktop system, I've put the OOo
quickstarter on my control panel and I find
that office starts fairly quick for me.
First time after the computer wakes up, takes about 6
seconds, and every time after that about 2. I'm
running
on what can only be considered "old" hardware now,
a 1.3 GHz Athlon w/ .5 GB RAM. Of course with only 256
MB RAM it would be slower, I don't get a lot of disc
caching anymore. I'm quite happy with OOo these days.
Except for some personal quibbles not related to
performance.

My $0.02,
Brian JD

--- Luke-Jr wrote:

> On Friday 28 October 2005 04:20, Leo Mauler wrote:
> > After spending an entire ITEC exposition extolling
> the
> > virtues of OOo, this crops up to claim that OOo
> has
> > memory usage issues and very slow startup times.

> OOo has always seemed bloated and slow to me, so I
> treat it fairly similar to
> Mozilla/FireFox: It's the best you can get for
> crapOS/Windows, but probably
> the worst for every other OS.
Why?

> KOffice does more than I'll ever need.