OpenOffice.org Bloatware?

Joe Brouhard jbrouhard at chansata.com
Fri Oct 28 08:21:27 CDT 2005

Very interesting post, Justin!

I have to admit, this is one of the quagmires that i've seen out these days.
Right now, where I work we are nothing but a 100% Microsoft shop.  I gotta put
up with the net admin hounding me about Linux vs Microsoft, TCO's, etc etc.

Quite frankly, while he has a lot of valid arguements, (training costs, training
time) one arguement that hurts BOTH sides is the memory utilitization.

I'm a lot like many of the IT pros out there.. I prefer to leave my desktop on,
all the time.  Saves us all trouble from logging in, starting up, waiting for
the pc to become useful, right ?  The downside is.. the longer the system stays
up, the more memory hogs that can get loaded.  This same issue attacks Linux as
well.

Whenever I hear problems like this, I prefer to tell the user to try rebooting
first, clear out the memory.  Usually works.  OpenOffice only slows down for me
when I have had like 30 apps open for 24 hours or so (i've done 40 acrowss the 4
desktops i had in Gentoo once.. slowest machine I've ever seen).

General Rule of thumb I've discovered:  For every day loaded, consider 24MB of
RAM used.  for every week of uptime, 100MB of RAM.  That's the bare essentials,
not counting any apps that might be loaded at the time.

but as always..

Your Mileage May Vary

--
Joe Brouhard