SBC to unbundle local service from dsl

Jim Herrmann kclug at itdepends.com
Wed Nov 16 00:01:29 CST 2005

Leo Mauler wrote:

>--- Garrett Goebel <garrett at scriptpro.com> wrote:
>

>>Whenever it becomes affordable, I will switch to
>>VOIP for local and long distance voice service
>>through someone like SunRocket
>>http://www.sunrocket.com for $200/year.
>>

>About the only reasons I don't switch to any kind
>of VoIP are 911 service (the 911 dispatcher knows
>where you are with regular phone service but not
>with VoIP), and the point that phone service doesn't
>necessarily go out when the power goes out, but VoIP
>service either goes out instantly during a power
>failure, or runs out in six hours when the built-in
>UPS runs out of battery power.

There is supposed to be e911 now.  They know where you are now because
you tell them where you are, and the calls are routed to the 911
operator in your area.  Eventually, I think it's supposed to be able to
figure out where you are.  That's kind of disturbing, yet comforting.  Hmm.

I had a friend point out that if there was a real emergency, he would
want to be on a cell phone anyway so that he could stay in touch with
911 while getting out of the house.

>Everest gets around these difficulties by offering
>phone service over conventional phone lines, but
>other cable services offer VoIP which isn't as stable
>as POTS in extremely bad weather.
>
>That ice storm a few years back knocked out the power
>for two days, knocking out cable service too (one
>battery-powered TV).  Phone lines worked fine for both
>
>days, allowing me to call the electric and cable
>companies for information.

All the phones in my house are wireless, and thus go out with a power
outage anyway.  I have a cell phone to call the BPU and/or Time Warner
to report an outage.  And if that doesn't work, too bad.  I'll just sit
in the dark for awhile.  :-)

The only real reason that I need a land line phone is because I have
teenagers.  Sun Rocket includes two lines in their price.  Perfect to
have a teen on one line, and have the other ring through.  If it weren't
for the young'ns I would just have cell phones and internet.  VoIP is
just a transition.

Peace,
Jim