sendmail ident

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Tue May 31 08:11:22 CDT 2005

Jack wrote:
> This is also the default behavior in courier. It was
> sometime before I discovered this serious security
> hole in my mail server. Unfortunately only after the
> email addresses on the server were extracted by
> spammers.

It's also a major performance hit.  Most mail servers (and clients)
these days are behind firewalls.  The ident request will get dropped
nearly 100% of the time, resulting in a long pause while the attempt
times out.  I really wish Sendmail had a

FEATURE(`stop_pretending_its_still_1983')

configuration option.