Dates again

Jason Munro jason at stdbev.com
Thu May 5 15:53:10 CDT 2005

On 4:29:06 pm 05/05/05 "Jonathan Hutchins" <hutchins at tarcanfel.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2005 10:48 am, Jason Munro said:
>
> >  Squirrelmail does allow you to sort by receive date, it's in
> >  Options -> Display prefs -> Enable Sort by Receive Date:.
>
> Having an option vs. actually sorting the mail that way are two
> different things though, at least with this installation.  Thanks for
> the reminder, but it's already checked.
>
> >  If you want a web based mail client
> >  similar to squirrelmail that does allow you to see all unread
> >  messages for selected folders without having to page through them
> >  you can check out my project here:
> >
> >  http://hastymail.sourceforge.net/
>
> I tend to sort my mail into folders, for mailing lists and such, so a
> consolidated "new mail" page is pretty useless to me.  Being able to
> quickly and easily toggle "view new messages only" would be very
> useful.

The new mail page supports multiple folders (I have 30 or so I filter to)
so thats not a problem. Each folder can be "collapsed" as well into just a
folder name and total, so you don't have to scroll through all the messages
in that folder if you don't want to.

see first shot here:

http://hastymail.sourceforge.net/features.php

Unlike Squirrelmail with hastymail you can select which folders to check
for new mail (on the folders page), instead of just "all or inbox". This
keeps the IMAP traffic to a minimum and only displays the folders on the
new page that you really care about.

We also have per folder sort filters on the mailbox view, so you can choose
 "unread", resort, and the folder will be altered to only display unread
messages. You can also choose any other IMAP flag attribute (answered,
deleted, flagged, etc) to filter on, as well as "multipart". Eventually we
will setup the ability to "promote" and save custom searches from the
search page into sort filters. This would be VERY cool IMO :)

> KMail has a search window that affects the currently displayed
> folder, and I've been finding it very useful.
>
> I may play with your project when I get back, as mail has been one of
> my main projects for <ahem> many years, but for my webmail I need to
> keep in sync with a production server that has very illiterate
> clients, and to offer them as little challenge as I can.

Hastymail has many site wide options to restrict the interface such that
users can do little damage :) Also the newest soon-to-be released version
has db backend support for user settings and is fully templated for easy
customization.

\__  Jason Munro
 \__ jason at stdbev.com
  \__ http://hastymail.sourceforge.net/