OT OS issue

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue May 3 06:53:57 CDT 2005

On Mon, May 2, 2005 9:15 am, Garrett Goebel said:

> If there's an OSS version of Ghost that works on NTFS partitions without requiring
> extensive reading and tweaking, please let me know.

Some versions of PartImage will work with NTFS.

The problem is that MS has played around with NTFS, varying the features and
implementation among different releases.  Standard, straight-forward NT4 NTFS works fine
with the native Linux drivers, but some of the more obscure implementations (upgrades on
Win9x-XP installs?) can have problems when writing within the NTFS partition.  This
shouldn't be an issue for an Image program, but then again, it's Microsoft.

DriveImage worked very well, so well that as pointed out before, Symantec bought it and
dropped their Partition Magic in favor of it.

> Funny how those proprietary OS's so often require proprietary $$$ backup solutions.

It's called "lock-in", and it's what proprietary is all about.