GTE and a potential fix

Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO brian.kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Thu Jun 30 10:46:35 CDT 2005

Can you get the yahoo or SBC DSL in St. Joe?  They are supposed to be
offering it for $14.95/mo.  If you do a self install, just don't install
the stupid software, which is useless.  I actually had to reload a
winders PC for someone after their fine software hosed the system.  All
you have to do is call em when the self install kit arroves and read off
the MAC of the DSL "modem" so the provisioning can happen and set
everything for DHCP and you're golden.

If you know enough, you can work around the fact that you don't have
winders connected when you troubleshoot.  Hell, I had Knoppix on my
laptop that I whipped out during my last Comcast install.  I just
verified that I got an IP and pulled up the current Slashdot.  Done.
The guy didn't even blink at me about it.  A lot of it is attitude, as
in an "air of knowledge", that you present yourself with on the tech
support line.  I always go into it with, "I have tried this, this and
this, and I think this is the problem, can you please verify from your
end."  But don't be an ass on the phone.  Treat them how you want to be
treated.

Later,
Brian