PostgreSQL Performance Tuning

Don Erickson derick at zeni.net
Tue Jun 28 15:13:09 CDT 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Frank Wiles wrote:

>  Not sure how many people on this list use PostgreSQL, but I recently
>  posted an article that helps gather the "generally accepted best
>  practices" for tuning a PostgreSQL database.

Fascinating article, with lots of non-postgresql-specific db performance
tips as well.

I've never used postgresql, I've always used mysql.  At the time that I
made this decision, the "accepted wisdom" on OSS dbs seemed to be that
mysql was fastest and easiest to admin, but postgresql was safest
(transactions) and most featureful.  Since I didn't know anything about
databases anyway, I felt that the extra features would probably be wasted
on me, and speed never goes out of style.

Is this view still essentially true, or was it ever?  At the time mysql
was the most popular open source db and having to vacuum your database
seemed somehow suspect.  Not that "most popular" is so much of an
endorsement, I'm thinking here of a certain operating system.

> You can read it here:
>
>  http://www.revsys.com/writings/postgresql-performance.html
>
>  Comments, feedback, etc. are always welcome.

Regards,

-Don