Firefox sercurity questions

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Sun Jun 12 14:23:41 CDT 2005

D. Hageman wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
>

>> Uhm, Leo?  Firefox IS the Mozilla browser.  Mozilla is just Firefox
>> plus a
>> bunch of other stuff.  Firefox is Mozilla is Mosaic - and I might even
>> have a
>> copy of some of the Mosaic bug reports I filed that are STILL VALID to
>> prove
>> it.
>>
>> (One of the best things Microsoft ever did was a ground-up rewrite of the
>> Mosaic code after they bought it and realized that it was not
>> salvagable.)
>

> I am not sure you have done all your research.
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/newlayout/

The layout engine wasn't the only thing that was (re)written from
scratch.  The UI toolkit (XPFE + XUL + a crapload of other stuff),
networking library (Necko), and pretty much every other part of the
browser were as well.  Applications that aid in development such as
Bugzilla, Tinderbox, and Bonsai were also written from the ground up.