"Bad Geometry"

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sun Jun 5 20:34:06 CDT 2005

I tried to get FC3 to install on my basement Gentoo box today, and it popped
up error messages about failure to probe partition geometry.  I have to
presume this is an attempt by RedHat's proprietary formatting tool to
understand the partitions on my main hard drive.  These were created by fdisk
(2.12i), which is a pretty standard tool.

Gentoo hasn't had any trouble working with the disk, and I'm not sure why
Fedora would, but it won't complete the install.

I imagine it might work if I used gentoo's fdisk to delete all the partitions,
but I want to keep the main partition (/) which has a  lot of data on it.

I guess I can just wait for FC4 to make it out, but it's frustrating.  RH used
to offer to allow you to use cfdisk or fdisk (I forget) instead of it's
proprietary formatter, which never did work worth a darn.