Anyone done a live video broadcast thru Linux?

David Spake dspake at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 22 20:33:59 CDT 2005

Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've looked hard at Helix and Darwin
Streaming Server, but am hesitant to bite just yet.  I like
StreamStudio, but it appears to be a dead project, and I may have to
default back to Darwin or Helix.

My main concern lies in that so many of the streaming solutions assume
you are doing a true capture thru a capture card, or file serving a
feed.  I'm trying to do something different in that I'm focusing on a
live feed, with as little lag as possible.  The live connection puts in
a set of issues that I just don't see addressed that often.

 From my reading, I'm hoping to use a camcorder with a Firewire (IEEE
1394) connection to do the heavy encoding lifting.  One of my real
questions is how much processor load will I realize by converting from
the DV combined audio/video format to something like quicktime, thedora,
real, whatever.  Will having a capture card with embedded decode on it
help?  If so, how much?  I am hoping that the CPU hit will be less for a
conversion than a true encoding, but it's hard to say.  The reason I
want to lean so much on the dv/1394 solution is that it's a lot easier
to find camcorders to borrow than dig up four capable encode/decode
capture cards.

But those two links I've already bookmarked after browsing thru and will
read them in much better detail.  I have no doubt the forums will
provide me a wealth of information, and I can't thank you enough for the
leads.  It seems almost anymore that even as good as the search engines
are, a lot of the deep forums aren't indexed anymore.  Whether or not
it's from neglect by the search engines, or that the forum owners don't
want the deep linking I don't know.

At the end of the day I'd love to use a more well known, possibly
stabler solution than an unknown one (StreamStudio), and Darwin
Streaming Server has a lot of attention and admiration.

I appreciate the information, and the links, and wish you the best of
luck.

Have a great weekend,

Dave