CodeWeavers "throwing down the gauntlet"

Richard A. Franklin raldenfranklin at everestkc.net
Wed Jul 20 13:54:56 CDT 2005

"We are on a mission to improve Wine until it can run nearly every
Windows program, and we would like your help".

http://www.codeweavers.com/

As a desktop / home office user, I have been quiet on this list for some
time. That is sort of a good news bad news thing from my perspective, as
it means that my desktop experience with Linux is now  "adequate" with
my favorite distro, however, I am not diving into diminishing returns
(time and effort) in any attempt to make it all just a little bit more
functional, and I had not seen any great leaps lately in desktop Linux
in general. By "lately" I mean in Linux time, which involves rapid
changes and frequent updates, not Windows time, which means an
occasional download to get a new band aid to place over the last band aid.

No major questions. It all seems rather user friendly now (I need that),
certainly when compared to that boxed distro I bought a few years ago
that claimed to be a complete OS replacement. Oh, and I consider that to
have been a lie at that time, although these days it is fashionable to
refer to such wild claims as a gentle spin.

ANYWAY, the CodeWeavers installer challenge looks promising. If it
resulted in just a couple of Windows programs working for me without
Windows (including a couple of games written after 1997), then I would
be done with Windows!

Rick