Ruby On Rails / Web Technologies

Aaron Spiegel spiegela at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 09:37:01 CDT 2005

> Whats something asp.net does over php?  I have yet to find something I
> can't do in php.

Not trying to get in to a "my language can beat up your language"
discussion (I do like PHP and Ruby), but in my case its not a matter
of whether or not I can do it things in PHP, but how simple/easy/quick
it is to do so.

Its hard to beat validating records in my models (the M in my MVC app) by:
     validates_(insert some criteria)_of    :attribute_name

or creating one-to-many relationships between models by:
     has_many     :child_models

and
     belongs_to    :parent_models

Notice the sysadmin-like lazyness.  Now I finish a complete an app in
a few days vs. weeks.

Not to say that someone couldn't write Rails in PHP, but there's a
culture difference in Ruby that believes the *best* way to do things
should be super easy, and everything else should be just easy.