Fwd: Ruby On Rails / Web Technologies

Jason Munro jason at stdbev.com
Fri Jul 15 08:16:45 CDT 2005

On 5:38:12 pm 07/14/05 Bill Cavalieri <bcavalieri at lumensoftware.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 15:34 -0500, Jason Clinton wrote:
> >  Here's some more fuel for the fire:
> >
> >  http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/benchmark.php?test=all〈=php&lan
> g2=csharp&sort=fullcpu
> >
> >  Which is essentially that PHP is 50 to 250 times slower than the
> >  open-source ASP.NET/Mono. Of course, disclaimers associated with
> >  benchmarks go here. :)
> >
> >  Any caching that might be implemented by mod_php in C isn't show
> >  here, of course.

Like any language PHP code can be written in such a way to be slow or fast.
There is some interesting information here about how to speed up PHP code:

http://phplens.com/lens/php-book/optimizing-debugging-php.php

As a long time PHP coder for both my employer and OS projectws I believe it
to be fast, flexible as hell, powerful to the point where you can do
yourself damage if you are not careful, and overall ideal for web based
apps.

\__  Jason Munro
 \__ jason at stdbev.com
  \__ http://hastymail.sourceforge.net/