Fwd: Ruby On Rails / Web Technologies

Josh Charles josh.charles at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 15:14:43 CDT 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Josh Charles <josh.charles at gmail.com>
Date: Jul 14, 2005 3:14 PM
Subject: Re: Ruby On Rails / Web Technologies
To: Bill Cavalieri <bcavalieri at lumensoftware.com>

> Whats something asp.net does over php?  I have yet to find something I
> can't do in php.

Generics
Operator Overloading
Strongly Typed Data Types
Function Overloading
URL Rewriting without resorting to writing C modules for the webserver
(there might be a way to do this with PHP, but I've not found it)
Databinding to either business objects or datasets
Number of controls (Gridview, Details View)
Personalization with custom objects
Automatic Membership / Subscription functionality with the Provider
Design Pattern for customization
Multiple Languages possibilities inside projects or applications

Hmm, that all I can come up with now, but that's a big list.

Josh