wardriving a crime in Florida?

Don Erickson derick at zeni.net
Tue Jul 12 20:44:51 CDT 2005

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Jeremy Fowler wrote:

> Somebody else paid for the bandwidth, and if you don't
> have permission to use it, you're stealing it.

Well, gee.  If I stick an open box on the internet with a service open,
then can I prosecute sombody for "stealing my bandwidth" if they "access
my network?"  Maybe nobody's interested in my super-secret Rice Crispy
Treats recipe or my fabulous comp-man lizard pictures on my web server,
but if I have a box that allows access, then unless I'm a total idiot I
should at least recognize that somebody might access it.

An open proxy server is exactly the moral equivalent of an open wifi
network, except that nobody needs the web proxy in an emergency, and
there's no "scan for proxy" software enabled out of the box at CompUSA.
If you're running squid open to the internet, people are going to find and
use it.  Duh.  You can blame them and sue them, or you can blame yourself
and secure your network access.  It's not like the people utilizing your
service haven't given you anything of value in return.

They've given you an education, which has a great deal more appreciating
value than the lousy bandwidth does.  And anybody running an open internal
wifi damned well NEEDS an education.

Tangentially, running portscans and publishing the results is exactly the
same as wardriving and publishing the results, at least that's my view of
it.  So, as to "moral high ground", I think it is more honorable to
discover and harmlessly use an open wifi than to advertise its existence
to those who may have dishonorable intent.

I'm not necessarily anti-wardriving, anti-advertising results,
anti-accessing open networks, or anti-exploiting open proxy servers.  My
view is that somebody or several somebodies are going to do it and anybody
with a computer should realize this and take the proper precautions.  If
you are running open networks and relying on the deterrent capacity of
local laws and gendarmes and the wonders of Microsoft Service Pack XXII to
protect your data and reputation from the bad guys, it's well past time
for a two-by-four style wake up call, which is probably coming post haste.

I frankly don't see why wifi networks that advertise their existence and
give out free IPs are viewed ANY differently than any other internet
service that allows access.  The only explanation that I can think of is
that it all happens within one legal jurisdiction with wifi.  Sort of like
looking under the lamppost for the missing keys.

The simple fact is that it IS a jungle out there and the actions of people
who _do no harm_ are not the ones that you have to worry about.

Considering the havoc that could be wreaked (I think that's a word)
through an open internal IP, utilizing a bit of bandwidth falls under my
definition of doing no harm.

To review:  Publicizing the existence of an open wifi network is
potentially _exponentially_ more harmful to the network owner than
checking your email through it is.  However, one seems to be illegal, the
other doesn't.  One is against the "Wardriver's code of ethics", the other
isn't.

It makes as much sense as anything else, these days.

Regards,

-Don, who shouldn't respond to these things after a half bottle of wine.