wardriving a crime in Florida?

Welsh, Ed Ed.Welsh at fishnetsecurity.com
Tue Jul 12 10:36:09 CDT 2005

A good point was previously made about intent.  I don't think any of us are above knocking on a door
and asking permission to use someone's WiFi for emergency connectivity needs.  There is obviously more
to the Florida case than we know.  This guy sat outside the house long enough to have the police
called on him.

My concern is that these IT related cases are ruled with fault placed on the "perp" and that WiFi is
becoming prevalent in enough devices that anyone can be taken in based on accessing a network.  Again,
intent becomes an issue, but who is the judge of that.  Local cops?

Network security overall has been one fantastic reactionary boondoggle and we (collective society)
still do not get "it".  Scratch the itch instead of taking the vaccine.

It boggles the mind that M$ was not held accountable (other than market place) for the scads of hacked
computers based on Windows and IE.

No one really knows where the responsibility lies and so we use the same old system we always have.
Witch hunts and scarlet letters.

Who is to blame?

Careless manufactures?
Ignorant users?
Weak governance?
Crafty phreaks?

EW

<Brian JD said...>
I agree with most of what you're saying here. While I certainly am not recommending that everyone go
out and connect to open access points in the neighborhood, I disagree that it is illegal. It may have
some personal honor issues, but I don't see it as illegal. I would however generally recommend using
only those that you find that you have explicit permission for. There are known free access points,
and I would generally recommend them. However, were I in desperate need of getting access, say a
server crashed and I needed to do some remote tasks from 1000 miles away, and there was no readily
available connection except an open wi-fi connection; I would probably use it.

<somewhat political and ot>
In fact were I comfortable enough where I didn't need to work. I would engage in acts of civil
disobedience in regards to some of the Stalinist laws that have been passed in recent years concerning
IT, were it not for the Draconian penalties they have attached to those imbicilic laws.
</somewhat ot>

Brian JD