Debian With Raid

rcedelman at comcast.net rcedelman at comcast.net
Fri Jul 8 07:43:46 CDT 2005

I'll agree with Jason about using an LSI Logic board over a 3ware.  However, I've got to disagree about the SATA drives. SATA is nice from a price/capacity standpoint, but they're still horribly unreliable. IMO, spend the extra money on a SCSI card and some nice SCSI drives.. 15k  RPM 174GB drives are great. MUCH more reliable than SATA. You'll be happy you spent the extra money down the road.

FWIW, we have a HP MSA1500 SAN here at work, with 2 MSA 20s, fully populated. That's 24 250GB SATA drives. We just had yet another drive fail. Second one in 2 months, and the third or fourth since we bought the SAN. Performance isn't all that great, we wish we would have spent the extra money on the MSA 30s, which are SCSI enclosures.

Rich