unmounting a volume

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Thu Jan 13 15:44:50 CST 2005

On Monday 10 January 2005 11:34 am, Brian Densmore wrote:
> FYI: 2.6 is not a development kernel, per definition. 2.6 is
> the current "stable" kernel and 2.4 is the "deprecated" (or
> whatever they call it) kernel. I've had no major issues with
> 2.6, but not something I would use on a production machine.
> IIRC, there is no current development kernel? There is no
> 2.7 right? Any ideas when if they are going to begin work on
> the next development kernel? Or are they just going to keep
> tweaking 2.6 until it's really stable? Did they pull a Microsoft
> on us with 2.6? What's your /opinion?

I seem to recall reading on Slashdot or LKML that there are no plans to ever
have a development series kernel again -- all development is supposed to be
happening at HEAD and it's up to distributions to stabilize on a particular
version. And several distributions have done just that; many has selected
2.6.5 or .7 as their stabilization point.