local development server and mapping drives

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 29 13:53:46 CDT 2005

--- "D. Hageman" <dhageman at dracken.com> wrote:

> You could easily use any of the following to achieve
> your goal:
>
> NFS
> Samba
> OpenAFS
>
> Each has its pros and cons.
That was kind of my point in asking.
Although I really hadn't given NFS serious thought.
Last I remember NFS was a rootkit waiting to happen.

I'm looking for something that is somewhat
transparent,
easy to manage, doesn't need babysitting, has the *nix
approach to security. I'm not looking for a CVS. That
is another beast entirely. I'm looking for something
where, after cheking out the code I can store it on a
machine dedicated to apache/<db of choice> so my
desktop system doesn't need them running, and modify
the code from my desktop and test the changes as I go.
Then when I'm happy with it check it back into CVS.
In the process my desktop never runs the code, never
saves the code (except in cache memory) and never runs
the CVS depository.

Thanks for the input people,
Brian D.