Screen Resolution Trends

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Apr 21 03:31:40 CDT 2005

Something that's been skirted in this discussion is the idea that the
whole point of a windowing environment is that no one application takes
all of the resources - they share the screen, so whatever the screen's
maximum resolution is, any given app should take _less_ than that for it's
standard resolution.

That's been something that's frustrated me.  We have this ideal of
multiple working windows, but unless you're on some super-pricey graphics
workstation you're usually reduced to maximizing each application in turn
to make the most of your resources.