Screen Resolution Trends

Don Erickson derick at zeni.net
Tue Apr 19 18:41:12 CDT 2005

Here's a bit of data that web users/designers may find interesting.

This is a table of (rounded) screen resolutions and months that the data
was collected.  I've had a javascript function to tailor pages to the
screen resolution of visitors to a few web sites, and "databased" the
results.  Here's how it breaks down:

		2004-03         2004-10		2005-01		2005-03
640x480		2 %       	0 %		1 %		1 %
800x600		34 %		30 %		24 % 		23 %
1024x768	54 %		55 %		57 %		58 %
1200x960^	11 %		15 %		18 %		19 %

So, by these numbers the ubiquitous 800x600 screen resolution that
pixel-based programs have to design for are now used by fewer than one
quarter of the users out there.  I think that this is significant.

Also, on the certification topic, is LPI still an entity at all?  For
distribution-neutral certifications, I thought that it used to be the
pinnacle, or at least they intended to become that, but it didn't even
merit a mention in a dozen or so emails on this list.

I do agree that a task-based test is going to tend to be a more valid
measure of skills than a multiple-choice, but I thought the LPIC-2 was
pretty tough.

Regards,

-Don