Linux Don'ts

Justin Dugger jldugger at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 00:10:13 CDT 2005

Well, Linspire has an annoying tendency to charge for software most
other Debian based distros offer for free. But there's probably a way
to hack around that, if you choose that route (most likely simply
altering sources.list). But as I understand them, Xandros and Linspire
both aim to make the administration of their boxes as painless as
possible. At this point most any of the distros can be molded to fit
the Windows UI for things like browsing the net and writing email,
although the integrated peripheral support (digital cameras, scanners)
isn't like XP's system. Of course, there's no quality substitute for
some programs like Office, but if you've been using SuSe for a while,
you've probably found out what applications suit your family.

Stay away from ATi cards, their binary drivers tend to be far lower in
quality than nVidia's.  Wifi cards, should you choose one, are a mixed
bag so far. Some, like my D-Link, are supported by a pretty good linux
driver. Others have to resort to ndiswrapper, which manages to
actually use windows drivers for linux, to a decent standard of
success. Regular network cards are almost always supported natively by
linux, as are most sound cards.  Serial ATA drives are usually
supported, although motherboard based RAID for that is hit and miss.
Processors, those are generally fully supported, if not more so
supported than Windows XP.

I don't know about SCSI, and I've only heard about ATi cards 3rd hand
(from a lot of people).  The big problem with telling your nephew what
brands to avoid is that the PC hardware business has multiple tiers in
most cases.  One company designs the chips, another one makes them, a
final one puts them on a board and markets them.  Linux drivers
generally support chips, not brands.  For example, my wireless card
uses the Atheros chipset, and the madwifi driver supports most all
atheros based cards.  Thing is, you can't always look on the box and
figure out the chipset.

Justin Dugger