Request for help: Debian firewall, and maybe some kernelupgradetips

Don Erickson derick at zeni.net
Sat Apr 16 07:51:43 CDT 2005

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Brian Kelsay wrote:

> ip_conntrack_ftp is a kernel module,  but I'm not sure if it is on my firewall or not.  A person could just check "lsmod" to see if it is loaded or "modprobe ip_conntrack_ftp" to initiate.  Where in the kernel options is the support for this module?  Under networking perhaps?

It's pretty buried in 2.6 -

    -> Device Drivers
       -> Networking support
         -> Networking support (NET [=y])
           -> Networking options
             -> Network packet filtering (replaces ipchains) (NETFILTER
               -> IP: Netfilter Configuration

My understanding of the ip_conntrack_ftp module is that it allows ftp
connections from masqueraded IPs.  In fact, I know that it does this, I
don't know what else it might do.  It is not necessary if you're ftp-ing
with a real internet IP address.

Regards

 -Don