Request for help: Debian firewall, and maybe some kernel upgradetips

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 15 11:04:22 CDT 2005

--- Brad wrote:

> The default policy for the Output chain is usually
> ACCEPT, so there is
> no need to open outbound ports specifically.  The
> ACCEPT statement on
> the ESTABLISHED,RELATED line will allow connections
> to the unprivileged
> ports since they are related to the connection on
> port 21.  I believe
> ip_conntrack_ftp helps with this.
Right, I wnet back and looked at Chris's post. I
thought he set in and out to default to drop. Which he
didn't.
Thanks for clarifying the ESTABLISHED,RELATED context.
I've wondered about that before. So you can that way
on a server, not open the unpriviledged ports
globally, but allow each connection to open those
ports. That's much better.

Brian D.