Migrating to Linux - WP

Jared jared at hatwhite.com
Wed Apr 13 13:47:08 CDT 2005

I think this was meant for the list:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Migrating to Linux - WP
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:17:15 -0500
From: Justin Dugger <jldugger at gmail.com>
To: Jared <jared at hatwhite.com>

One word of caution, OO.org doesn't nessecarily do a great job at
working with non-native documents, especially as a beta.  I'm not sure
how you can con the lawyers into testing the suitability for their
needs though, given that the firm probably likes them working on
billable hours and such.  Just because it "works" doesn't mean it
always works, after all.  Nobody likes an upgrade that works like a
downgrade, which puts a huge burden on OO.org to handle document
formats, work just like the old software, and crash less often.

On the other hand, it sounds like it might work better than a WINE
solution. There is a third possiblity, but reading the FAQ it sounds
heavily problematic: WordPerfect on Linux natively.  Its now
unsupported, but neither is WINE.

Justin Dugger