Migrating to Linux - WP

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Wed Apr 13 04:31:58 CDT 2005

I was reading about yet another LTSP project the other day, and idly
thinking about making the next upgrade at the law office a move to LTSP,
when I was brought up short by recalling that they all run Windows,
however comfortable I've become in KDE.

There are going to be a couple of major showstoppers if I try to convert
someone there to Linux.  One is a special propietary sort of word
processing package that handles Court Reporter Transcripts, but I think it
might run under Wine.

The big problem is that several courts require documents to be submitted
in Word Perfect format, and last I checked OpenOffice was not even
inporting WP, let alone saving a workable output.

I seem to remember that in order to run WP under Linux, Corell had some
sort of full Windows emulation set up, where you had to install Linux,
Windows, Wine, WP, and maybe something else.

Has anybody worked with WP on a linux platform?  How much of a pain is it?
 Does it require a state-of-the-art workstation to handle all the
emulation load or will it run on a minimal LTSP setup?

(I remember when WP ran on a dedicated machine the size of an office desk
with return.  It's never really been happy unless it could have the whole
computer to itself.)