$100 laptop running Linux

Oren Beck oren_beck at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 12 15:57:27 CDT 2005

Brian Kelsay wrote:

> Yes, the cost of replacement is far greater than the
> cost of the computer, when you're talking about
> Windows.  Especially when the licenses are tied to the
> hardware.
>
> So a corporation might hold onto a low productivity
> computer rather than engage in an expensive upgrade of
> which only a small part is the cost of the computer.

This situation may offer a wedge of entry for Linux.
The shortest concept outline is to be catching a company
before a commitment to vendor of either hardware
or software has been re-approved for the next cycle.
and a sub $100 hardware costing changes all the rules.

Our target being that next cycle gets made of Linux
  supporting hardware suppliers and Open Source
software providers. Small margin huge volume?
This bears a close look at-

http://www.emperorlinux.com

Then again since Wal-Mart is arguably one of America's
largest corporate IT spenders they may self source -
A sub $500 no gimmick price laptop with Linspire
and Crossover Office! What do THEY pay for it?

http://news.com.com/Wal-Mart+debuts+498+Linux+laptop/2100-1044_3-5498006.html

Getting from $ 498 to $100 could come very fast...

Crossover Office from what I have been told makes
  the data migration nearly painless for example.
OR at least a lower "cost" that any other fix.

Then if one factors in the "avoided costs" of both MS
  and their ilk what would a new oem laptop cost?
What if a few of the larger fortune 500 companies
ordered one of these even for only half of  their employees?

Or perhaps AOL deciding to saturate the market with cheap
computers suited to their target market of new zero base users.
IF the "fresh meat" has zero to unlearn Linux is more viable!

Oren

" Like- how weird- there were these stacks of aol free trial disposable
laptops"