Zone File Help

Uncle Jim jim at jimani.com
Sun Apr 10 18:24:19 CDT 2005

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 12:15:06PM -0500, Paul Taylor wrote:

> Hi all, I'm new to configuring DNS. I believe my set up is simple.
>
> I have ftp, mail, dns, and www on the same machine. Can anyone check out
> my log file and two zone files.
>
> This page has the files http://www.gotopinion.info/linux/index.html
>
> Please e-mail me recommendations.

First of all, add a link to your /etc/named.conf.

The log file shows two bogus zones each with serial 42.

   zone 0.in-addr.arpa/IN: loaded serial 42
   255.in-addr.arpa/IN: loaded serial 42

Your /etc/named.conf file should show why this is happening.

In your ironworks.zone file you have an entry for "localhost".  This will
end up being localhost.ironworks.com which probably is not what you want.
Put localhost in its own zone.  A typical localhost zone looks like this:

   $TTL    86400
   $ORIGIN localhost.
   @                       1D IN SOA       @ root (
                                           42              ; serial (d. adams)
                                           3H              ; refresh
                                           15M             ; retry
                                           1W              ; expiry
                                           1D )            ; minimum

                           1D IN NS        @
                           1D IN A         127.0.0.1

Next, in the ironworks.zone file "localhost", "linux", "mail", "ns1",
"www", and "ftp" have leading whitespace.  They should be smack up
against the left margin.  This is what is causing the RR error message:

    dns_master_load: ironworks.zone:13: unknown RR type 'localhost'

Try these changes, add a link to /etc/named.conf, and tell us what happened.
--
Jim