Storage drive problems

Justin Dugger jldugger at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 18:23:14 CDT 2005

I brought this up around noon today on IRC, but I guess everyone was
out to lunch =).  I've recently formatted my shiny new SATA drive as
ReiserFS, to try out a few new filesystems out.  Since it was a 200GB
drive, and I plan to use it mostly for storing large files, I thought
it might be a bit faster if I used a larger block size, I used 4096
(although I'm not sure what the default is, at the time I assumed it
was 1024).  If you're interested in specific hardware details, I've
attached the output from the program lshw.  Beware that it isn't
entirely accurate; one part I've noticed that's wrong is the socket
type on my CPU.

 Anyways, my problem and reason for posting this is that I can't seem
to store more than about 4 gigs on the drive. I can't create or move
files to the drive.  Example:

jldugger at jldugger:~ $ mv lshw /mnt/reiser/
mv: writing `/mnt/reiser/lshw': No space left on device

Some extra diagnostic information:
jldugger at jldugger:~ $ df
/dev/hda1              9410184   7957780    974388  90% /
tmpfs                   518296         0    518296   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda             195355016   4126812 191228204   3% /mnt/reiser

jldugger at jldugger:~ $ du -sh /mnt/reiser
4.0G    /mnt/reiser
 So, any ideas? One person suggested that I might be out of inodes,
but it turns out that the standard tool didn't work (it listed all
zeroes for total, used and free inodes on reiserfs).

 Justin Dugger