OT: vintage TV

Kris N. Bodenheimer numa at thenuma.com
Mon Apr 4 10:21:14 CDT 2005

>Almost 50 year old tube circuits not powered in 20 years?  Not too
>shabby. :)

I use homemade tube circuits in my stereo amps, and have seen 70 year
old tubes work great.  What has the shortest life in a circuit ain't the
tubes, it's the damn capacitors.  And that old tv probably has a lot of
oil caps in it, that are quite expensive (relative to $.02 electolytics)
to drop in, course you can refiddle it to use cheap caps, but you had
better have a sync generator.  Flybacks are prone fail also, and not
really replaceable (anymore).  Tubes are easy to find right now, an RCA
recieving tube manual will give you some tube equillavencies.  Also good
to have a tube tester.  My 'portable' tester is pocket sized 40 lb beast.

Kris