when do you really need a 64bit cpu?

numa at thenuma.com numa at thenuma.com
Sat Apr 2 23:37:02 CST 2005

> On Saturday 02 April 2005 05:12 pm, hanasaki wrote:
>
>> So... I pose this question.  When do you really need a 64bit CPU
>> <other than the obvious potential need of a megasever needing the
>> address space>?

Warning minor MS winndows rant follows
So you can try out windows xp x64 and be disappointed when the following
do not work:

your mouse driver
the onboard sound driver
daemon tools
alcohol 120%
hardware monitor driver
gigabit lan driver
scanner driver
print to pdf in adobe acrobat
hp designjet 500 driver
hp laserjet 2500 driver
hp designjet 600 driver
autocad 2006 because it's pissed off the printers don't work
autocad 2005 because it's pissed off the printers don't work
no xp powertoys
no xp powertoys at all
no xp powertoy for window focus follows mouse
no norton
no diskeaper 9.0 for your badly fragmented disk drives
no ide raid driver