Good Starter Language? (was Re: REALBasic and OpenAL)

Frank Wiles frank at wiles.org
Fri Apr 1 08:38:50 CST 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:39:34 -0800 (PST)
Leo Mauler <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:

> If not BASIC, then what would be the programming
> language of choice for the beginner?
>
> Ideas accepted from all.

  Instead of replying to parts of different peoples message, I'm just
  going to throw my two cents in.

  I think it is a big mistake to start with a scripting language. I
  would strongly suggest learning enough C to understand compilation,
  runtime linking of libraries, basic memory management and pointers.

  Then I'd go learn and use on a day-to-day basis a more natural
  language like Perl or Python.

  My reason for this is, it's twice as hard to learn the other
  direction.

  It's like learning shorthand and then 2 years later learning to
  write English.