routing / firewall question

Uncle Jim jim at jimani.com
Tue Sep 28 00:30:57 CDT 2004

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 08:47:23AM -0500, Brian Kelsay wrote:

> Just curious, why do you run DHCP by itself on one box on a 4 node network.  That could easily be moved to the firewall or combined on one of the other boxes.  It usually is combined with DNS.  I know that is not the point of your question, but I don't understand the need for a separate box.
>
> Never heard of privoxity so I'll have to check it out.  I assume it is an add-on to squid.  I also don't understand the need for a proxy of this sort for one person.  Are you just playing around or do you need to test this setup for something.  Sorry, I just don't see the point.

I have run squid on my one node network for a long time and I find it very useful.
The best my modem can do is 26400 (when its not raining) so any speed up in web
surfing is easy to detect.  When I find it necessary to use a graphical browser
squid will locally cache a lot of the jpeg stuff that never changes but takes time
to download.  The first hit of a web site may take a while but further hits are quicker.

I think he means privoxy which is just the new name for the new and improved
junkbuster.  Privoxy works well with squid to even further reduce the load on
my poor phone line with the added side benefit of making my surfing experience
more pleasant by removing annoying commercial junk.

I also run a cache only DNS on my single node net but it is harder to tell the
improvement this provides.
--
Jim