Downloading Mac Stuff in Linux?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Sep 20 15:20:25 CDT 2004

On Monday 20 September 2004 02:18 pm, webgiant at juno.com wrote:

> Every time I've copied a Mac file onto a PC floppy, there's extra files
> which aren't mentioned in the Mac directory listing.  If I just get the
> torrent file and start downloading, will the torrent file create the extra
> files, or will the resulting file be unreadable by Macs?

Older Mac files have a "forked" structure, which looks to DOS like two files,
a "header" file and a "body" file.  There are formats such as Stuffit Self
Expanding files (usually .sea) that allow a non-Mac system to handle Mac
files, that's the best method for transferring them.  It's possible to create
Mac FS support on a Linux box, but compressed archives offer additional
protection against transmission error.