[OT] Clinton Assault Weapon Ban Ending - was -RE:gmailinitiations

David H. Askew daskew2 at kc.rr.com
Sat Sep 11 01:00:25 CDT 2004

... i couldn't resist

I think most people would agree that, despite the unparralleled intelligence
of the framers, the Constitution is a document of limited wording, and that
it has been utilized by the Supreme Court as a basis for many decisions that
the framers never envisioned.  While I would agree that, under a free
society, gun-control of any kind is a threat to my liberty, I would also
agree, that we need to have a good balance between personal freedom and
national security.

If you take the constitution at its face value, the the framers envisioned
that every man should be allowed to own a single shot, barrel-loading,
musket.  If you really wanted to look into the spirit of the law, then the
framers intended us all to be able to own any guns we should deem necessary
to the protection of our liberty.  Having said that, where does it stop?  Do
we really want every tom, dick, and harry building low grade nuclear weapons
in the face ot tirany ? Of course we don't.  Allowing citizens to possess
WMDs would'nt be very smart, so we have come to an agreement that this isn't
very reasonable.  National interest vs. personal freedom, thats what I'm
getting at here.  Our constitution was never setup to provide all the
freedoms we think we should enjoy, but rather to protect a few basic ones.
We live in a society that is more free than most, not "a free society".

It all comes down to this:

- the framers intended on us being well armed.
- the framers had no idea of the kind of weapons we would create.
- the framers never invisioned the violent society we live in (gloabal and
domestic)

I for one, support the ban of assault weapons, but then again I have a
reasonably tough time legitamizing the value of owning such weapons, in light
of the domestic and global threats we face.   If we live in a society that
makes people think that they really "need" an assault weapon, then freedom
has long since left the building and we might as well all move to Israel.

I think its funny that the Democrats support every ammendment but the second,
and the Republicans only support the second one.

my .02

dave