gmail initiations

Oren Beck oren_beck at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 9 21:15:00 CDT 2004

Brian Densmore wrote:

> Actually, I think that Phoenician's post was aimed at my
> tongue-in-cheek email and not yours. By the way the
> Freedom of Information Act doesn't entitle you to get
> information on other people's information such as
> SSNs or tax returns, unless that person is a public official.
> On top of which they are "supposed" to black out certain
> parts of those documents which you can get, like SSN's.
> Or were you not referring to the FOIA? But what bother's
> me the most is that counties sell my information to political
> candidates.  But that's another rant. entirely.

Phrase that last line as SHOULD  NOT know absent due process - the
caring part denotes the sanity or lack of same .
And what you invoke about  _ability_  to read one's electronic data
stores does not correlate to it being GOOD .
Yah - no secrets can exist beyond one's skull in a society willing to do
whatever it needs to for preventing secrets .
Promoting such a social agenda may shorten the life expectancy of twits
doing so too abrasively .
John Brunner raised the query of what you get for what you surrender as
a catchphrase .
" The systems that keep you from cheating on taxes make sure the crash
cart has your blood type on it WELL ? "

The bill of rights explicitly states some of the conceptual reasons for
privacy violations  being unwise .
I clarify the data mining issue as ASSOCIATIVE data Vs UN-associated
data . One Breakpoint of concern .
Either it's a tabulating of N# looked at the website of concern or YOU
by NAME did .
One Harmless datum of a Odometer style page views incrementing alone is
hardly a concern .
The persons wanting  OTHER data that makes it" YOU" did <Blank>  are
likely  NOT harmless !

The concept of David Brin's " Transparent Society  "

http://www.davidbrin.com/tschp1.html

Addresses the tale of 2 cities - creepily evocative of the Open Source
worldview Vs Microsoft EULA As bill of rights .
Details that the Public persons need to while in Public employ willfully
forfeit  balanced against an ethos of the privacy cloaking rules that
the PRIVATE citizens are granted inviolate WHERE PROPER .

Public money has the string of public access and privacy is secured by
private funding one's life .
That simple concept has a mundane corollary in Missouri fishing law. If
my wife gets fish from the DNR we in exchange surrender right of access
refusal . Where if we do NOT take any fish from DNR we can refuse
service to anyone .
The Gmail social contract seems to me an adherence in kind to that
concept . TANSTAAFL .
Free per se is oxymoronic in much of social interactions as even the
Copyleft/Gpl/Creative Commons ALL impart restrictions .   By my humble
take common law should allow a full refund of what you paid to Google
for their service . And the same sum for damages to your privacy .

To be deadly blunt - Gmail et al that wish to "use" communicated
information as a revenue stream need to be transparent in how and where
that will be and after a " Read and understood " is agreeed to by ALL
parties .
Absent such informed consent Evil indeed is afoot here . The core issues
are  INFORMED and UNDERSTOOD.

Were Gmail to cloak the usages of mined data as Microsoft cloaks the
innumerable privacy violations caused in the Windows environment the
term " Evil " arguably would be quite justified . In an OS where one is
mislead to believe a file deletion renders the file "erased" only to
find later that " Delete "  causes multiple redundantly hidden copies to
be cached in multiple locations on your HD- Gmail becomes the minority
worry !  Ignorantia Nhil Excusat ?

Oren Beck

www.campdownunder.com

That which an age feels to be evil is usually an untimely afterecho of
that which was formerly felt to be good - the atavism of an older ideal.
- Nietzsche