ASX Script

Lucas Peet sirsky at lucastek.com
Fri Sep 3 07:18:26 CDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 10:38, Jason Clinton wrote:

> http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/General/Internet/WWW/HTMLPrimer.html

<RANT>

Ok, I may be a bit out of place here, maybe not, but after months of
seeing people's questions, and your 'answers', Jesus Christ, Jason!!!

I took a glance a that link, and NCSA did a decent job of covering BASIC
HTML for Dummies.  Don't see how that will help Jonathan figure out this
streaming audio scripting problem.

Besides that, this is a *discussion* list, somewhere that people of a
similar mind and intrest can come and *discuss* problems, and
situaitons, to get answers or possibilites that may help them.

You always seem to be some sort of pompus 'super-professor' sitting
behind a big bare desk, that when a question is asked, you reach back
behind you to your wall-to-wall library and throw a book at their head
instead of answering the question.  That's just plain insulting.

You've probably read a lot of books, websites, and other resources I
haven't read, and the same can be said about me and just about everyone
else here on this list.  *BUT*, if I've read something relevant to a
discussion in a 900 page book, I'm not going to tell the person to

**go read the 900 page book yourself; you can find it on the 5th shelf
to the right, 3rd shelf down in the computer books seciton at the
Borders on 95th & Metcalf**

like you would -- I'll tell them the things I gathered from the book
that's relevant to them, and if that possibly helps, then great!  (And,
of course, site the book/website, so if I can't go into the depth the
book/website goes into, they can find it, and read the relevant secitons
themselves.)

That's sharing knowledge.  Most of the time, links *do help*, so they
can go somewhere that goes much farther in depth than a simple email
reply could or should, but if you've come across it in your endeavours,
then, SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF IT, dont' just send a link to some obscure
website.

If it's something you may have just come across and said 'oh, that's
interesting' as in an article on some website, then mention it as such,
not a statement of fact, otherwise, give some info about it, explain it
in your own words as best you can, and THEN provide a link to where they
can learn more.

This list should be like a better Google of real experience.  If you had
a question ('How could people possibly fly??' or 'How can I get from
point A to point B faster??'), which would you rather do, ask if someone
else already knows, or has done it before?

Or are you going to go, hit the books, do your math and try and build a
primitive Wright Flyer while seeing everyone else fly overhead at 35,000
in a 747, or try to contemplate pi and invent the wheel, while other
people in cars are wizzing by at 65Mph because you'd like to do the
same??

Next time you have a question, I've a whole book case of books
(including a full set of encyclopedia), and a full folder of website
bookmarks I'm just going to start throwing at your head, one at a time,
tell you to read them (since I have already) and tell you it's somewhere
in these books, figure it out yourself.

And if you do continue to just send nothing but links, at least send
relevant ones.

<shakes head></RANT>

Disclaimer: I have *not* read my entire set of encyclopedia...

-Lucas