HOWTO: install cheap RTL8180 wireless PCMCIA card in Linux

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Sat Oct 30 18:51:32 CDT 2004

One disadvantage of this chipset is that it doesn't support monitor
mode, at least with the Linux driver:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Linux.Wireless.drivers.802.11b.html#Realtek

In other words, Kismet, WEPCrack, and AirSnort won't work with this
card.  Granted, this is not an issue for most people.