Crackers and correlations

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Fri Oct 29 13:37:42 CDT 2004

I get this type of attack also. The latest one is
different in both the length of time spent on it and the
distinct characteristic of only attempting to gain root access.

By all indications, this was a scripted attack. The port numbers
used seemed to follow a general upward trend with a pseudo-random
reset to a lower port. I'm sure there are multiple scripts for
running brute force attacks of this kind. I expect the scripted
attacks to grow ever more sophisticated over time, as there is
definitely a professional bent to system cracking these days.

I do have a question for y'all. Is there some non-crippling
thing I can do to my system to detect an attack and :
1) send me an email (optionally),
2) log the conversation for xxx seconds,
3) automatically update the firewall to block the offending
user/script.
Keep in mind I'm running on an antique here: Pentium Pro 200 MHz @
40MB RAM w/ ~8 GB of disk.

P.S. - I have an email and phone call in to the good people at the
USDA and will update you all on anything I may find out. Assuming
they will ever admit that one of their PCs has been compromised.